Unreal Gamejam Post-mortem
January 18, 2015
I just completed my project for the Unreal Gamejam! That last day was pretty rough because I had so many bugs I put off from the previous days. I had to cut out a lot of the things I wanted to add just so the game could be presentable. I was able to get the core gameplay working, but that was it. Finishing the proper gameloop and displaying the score would’ve dramatically upped the replay value of this game, but I’m not too disappointed about how it turned out. I learned a ton more about Unreal 4 just by going through the process from start to finish.
Blueprints have made the overall dev experience really enjoyable. I’m still not too comfortable with it yet, so I’ll continue to play around with it. There were some parts of the project where I had the idea of an implementation in C++, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it with blueprints. That kind of goes along with any new system, where you could pull from previous experience, but not let it pigeonhole you. I’m sure in time, I’ll be thinking in blueprints!
This gamejam was definitely a good warmup for the next few events coming up this month. Can’t wait!